I like to say I have the God-given gift of complaining. I’m really good at it. I can whip out a complaint about anything at any time. Really. You should ask my husband. 🙂
But I have to admit, as much as I joke about it, it’s one of those things I really wish I could change about myself. It’s just not fun to have all these negative thoughts running around in my head. Now I know some people are born more optimistic than others, but we still have the power to adjust our attitudes, as long as we are willing to put the work in. One of the ideas that I’ve been hearing a lot about is a gratitude journal, or a thankful journal. It’s a really neat and simple idea. Every day you write down something you are grateful for. That’s it. It doesn’t have to be a laundry list- just one thing will do. But that simple act of filtering your day through a positive light can really change your outlook. I found this neat little diagram to show some outcomes of increasing your gratefulness.
So I’m going to try it. I’ve grabbed a plain empty journal, nothing fancy, and each night before I go to bed I’m going to think about everything that has happened in my day and I’ll choose one thing to be thankful for. Even more than that, I want to make it one thing that I complained about that day. There is a positive in everything and I want to force myself to find it. And I hope that this simple act causes me to think more positively during the day.
Thoughts? Do you keep a gratitude journal? Positive thought is powerful. How do you keep yourself positive?
Love and Joy,
- A Gratitude Journal… for Your Man (girlsbeinggirls.wordpress.com)
- Be Thankful Challenge (dreamingfrompei.wordpress.com)
- The Gratitude Journal (zuegellos.wordpress.com)
- Find Happiness in Being Grateful (healthylittlething.wordpress.com)
- #Gratitude Challenge Day 0: Start a Gratitude Journal (personalexcellence.co)
- weekly challenge- keep a gratitude journal (themanycoloursofhappiness.wordpress.com)
- #Gratitude Challenge Day 1: Write 10 Things You are Grateful For in Your Life (personalexcellence.co)
- Gratitude Journals for Kids (momto2poshlildivas.com)
- Gratitude – A Universal Practice (inspirationhub.co.nz)