I’m not usually one for fancy food, but I had to share my lunch with you today.
Stuffed acorn squash!!
I randomly grabbed one at the grocery store the other day, and as I was standing in my kitchen trying to figure out what to eat, the squash kept looking at me… seriously, it was leering. 🙂 So after perusing my pantry and fridge, I came up with this.
Doesn’t it look yummy!
Mmm. I don’t really do recipes, but I’ll do my best to share with you how I made this delectable autumn meal. Can you tell I love fall? Love it!!! 🙂
1. First you want to cut open the squash and scoop out the seeds (just like a pumpkin)
2. Then cook the squash. I was starving so I microwaved mine for 20 minutes on high, otherwise you can bake it in the oven at 400 degrees for roughly 40 minutes. But make sure you cook it cut side down.
3. While your squash is cooking, you’ll want to prep your filling. I sauteed onions, mushrooms, and kale (roughly a handful of each… I told you I don’t do recipes). But feel free to do whatever veggies you have on hand, just make sure to dice them pretty small (zucchini, celery, spinach, bell pepper, you could go all sorts of ways).
4. Then I added ground turkey (or sausage, ground beef, ground chicken, whatever!), a splash of chicken stock, and spices. Depending on which veggies you chose above, and what type of ground meat you are using will depend on what type of spices you use. I was going for a “thanksgiving” vibe so I added poultry seasoning and a dash of cinnamon. Oh and salt and pepper. 🙂
5. Once fully cooked (both squash and filling), spoon the filling into the squash. Bake for 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven. You could also put cheese on top and broil if you tolerate dairy.
And… that’s it! Yum!
Tried it? Let me know how it went. Make something similar? Let me know what you like to put in it.
Love and Joy,
- Fall Food – Spaghetti Squash! (msrunnerd.com)
- Butternut Squash and Pear Soup (lifesadinnertable.wordpress.com)
- Stuffed Peppers (girlfriendscoffeehour.com)
- Autumn Veggies with Butternut Squash (healthhappinessandrunning.wordpress.com)
- Adventures with Vegetables-Acorn Squash (beautifullybalancedblog.wordpress.com)
- A New Season, A New Squash! (worktraincookeat.com)
- Butternut Squash Soup (fitfearlessly.com)
- Autumn-Stuffed Acorn Squash (lifelovelemons.com)
- How to Peel an Acorn Squash (letters-from-marseille.me)
- Butternut Squash Lentil Stew (3citygirlsnyc.wordpress.com)