Top 5: On the Go Snacks
Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like I am constantly in motion. There’s always someplace to be or something to do. And if I’m not going somewhere or doing something… I feel…off; like I’m forgetting something. Do you ever have that feeling?
But being constantly on the go means I’m never very close to any healthy food source, and I can’t say there is any worse feeling than thinking you are either going to starve or face plant into a Big Mac. Trust me, been there, done that..one too many times.
So I’ve learned it’s best to be prepared. Now, I usually bring my own lunch to work for this very reason, but I’m not exactly going to be lugging my lunch box around with me all day; so I need something that is small, easily fits in my purse (or pocket…or man purse? Do guys actually carry those?), and doesn’t make a huge mess. Lots of trial and error later, I’ve discovered my Top 5: On the Go Snacks. 🙂
1. Nuts- nuts are an amazing filling source of protein, fat, and fiber. They are extremely portable. Just fill a small bag or container with a handful of your favorites and grab a few when hunger strikes.
2. Fruit- fresh, dried, mashed, anyway you pack it, fruit is a great way to grab a healthy snack on the go. A lot of fresh fruits can easily be carried with you throughout your day- bananas, apples, and oranges, just to name a few. I can’t tell you how many times a banana in my purse has saved the day…. seriously, it’s a life saver! But dried fruits and mashes (you know, those squeezy pouch things; applesauce or mixes- find them in the snack or baby food aisle) are great alternatives. Always always read the labels though to make sure there is no added sugar or gross additives.
3. Larabars- now, I’m not a huge proponent of telling you about things that contribute to a specific company, but for something I absolutely adore, I’ll make an exception. And Larabars are AMAZING!!! They are whole food fruit and nut bars, and they are delicious and come in a million yummy flavors! They are a bit pricey those, so I don’t eat them too often. I usually keep one in my purse for times when I’ve forgotten to bring anything else. But oh my gosh… they are sooo good!
4. Freeze dried veggie and fruits– these are those weird little crunchy things that you see either near the produce section, or in the snack aisle. Look for ones where the only ingredients are the fruit or veggies. They are great when you are craving something with a good crunch or are trying to get more produce into your diet. There are many many different brands; but a few that I like are Crunchies, Just Tomatoes, Brother’s All Natural Fruit Crisps, and Funky Monkey. Again, these are usually not my first pick due to price, but they are a fun way to get some extra fruit or veggies in my diet.
5. Water- what? Water’s a snack? Well, no, but a lot of times we feel hungry when really we are just thirsty. A great habit to get into is to first drink a glass of water and then wait 20-30 minutes to see if that satisfies you. If not, then by all means, have a snack. But I always carry a water bottle with me to make sure I’m well hydrated. And if you have no snack options on you, water is a great way to fend off gnawing hunger.
There you have it! My top 5 on the go snacks. What do you like to munch on when you’re on the go?
Love and joy,
- 6 Proven Ways to Get Kids Excited About Healthy Snacks (organicauthority.com)
- Snack Ideas? Almonds. Find the many benifits to this yummy snack. (sydneybieler.wordpress.com)
- Healthy Eating on the Go! (greenupgrader.com)
- Top 5 Paleo Snack Ideas On The Go (socialmediaclub.org)